Sunday, June 22, 2008

Kryptonite

Sunday marked a rather unmemorable event for me. It was the last day of Superior Bike Fest and the mountain event, my best event, was the order of the day. After Saturday's road event, it was no surprise that I was less than eager to begin this race.

My legs were stiff, although soreness wasn't really taking effect. They were heavy and energy failed to renew with the changing of the day.

One mile in, I decided that my only goal was to finish the race. This is pretty sad considering it was only sixteen miles and I've excelled at distances longer than this. The pack lost me right away. By mile three, I was seriously considering a big DNF (did not finish). By mile seven, I pretty much confirmed that I was going to DNF. Sure, I kept telling myself that I was almost finished with my first lap and that I could survive another one, but the truth was that I couldn't climb hills without getting off and walking. My legs were dead. It was almost like I was Superman, force-fed kryptonite.

The final decision came at the end of the lap and I headed straight for the finish with a final "F-YOU" to the Marquette Mountain course that I loved so much on any normal day. It was a sad, sad day – my first DNF.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the DNF. Just remember how good you are.I'm doing my first big race tomorrow (30 miles) under horrid trail conditions, so it may be a DNF for me as well

June 27, 2008 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger singletrackchronicles said...

Wow....that sucks. Two day events are never easy.....if they did the mountain race first...then the road race...it might be easier. Next time...good luck!

June 28, 2008 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Di said...

It was a three day event. ;-)

Kristi, thanks! :-) Good luck on your race. I'm proud of you. :-)

June 28, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home