Sunday, July 13, 2008

Horse Vs. Bike

One would think that any given day in mid-July would be spectacular for mountain biking in the Keweenaw. One would think.

Today held firmly at 58 degrees F and the air was quite lively with a strong wind that was heard rushing through the leaves. The trees swayed with more animation than I was able to muster today. It is summer. It is summer. Yes, it is summer. I keep telling myself that, but it just doesn't feel like it. It feels like spring.

I had to deliver the registration papers for the horse I sold a couple of months ago. I met the new owner at a horse show that was going on at the Houghton County Fairgrounds. I kept watching his daughter ride my horse and thinking to myself, "I really want to ride." They offered several times, and I finally hopped on when she was done showing. I gave the daughter a few tips and made plans to show up to the stable Tuesday morning with baby pictures and a desire to ride. I'll have to pack my half chaps and get my riding boots out.

It certainly is not mountain biking, but over a decade of horseback riding prepared me quite well for my new sport. Balance, strength, relaxed muscles, it is all key to both sports.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home