Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cast Iron Dream

A couple of men have argued with me that added iron is quite unhealthy for my diet. "Iron is something we don't need an excess of." That's fine and dandy, but as a menstruating female who has felt the effects of anemia, iron is Heaven on Earth. It is no wonder that my carnivorous side overwhelmingly takes control of me after a ride. This is evident towards the end of a ride as I discuss thick, juicy burgers with my riding partner, Pat. One day, as I rolled into Calumet, I said, "I smell BEEF!" That was it. Onward to the Michigan House for a burger.

Maybe it is of no surprise that the rather untalented chef in me prefers my only cast iron skillet. I bought it for making Steak au Poivre, as seen on Good Eats with Alton Brown. I was particularly surprised to find that the best fried eggs I had ever made were out of that skillet! Oh, yes. It was better and easier than the ever-so-carcinogenic Teflon I have used all my life. What is even better about cast iron is I no longer hear the "use a plastic spatula" comment verbalized by my mother for oh, so many years (yes, mom's voice sticks in your head even when you live eight and a half hours away).


Cast iron is ideal for cooking all types of food. I bought my cast iron skillet for making Steak au Poivre (pictured), but found that fried eggs out of this skillet are just as easy and equally delightful.

As a female cyclist, cast iron is not only a great tool for producing splendid post-workout meals, but it provides me with that oh-so-necessary iron that promotes adequate transport of iron throughout my body. While I absolutely love beef, it is not something I eat very much of. In fact, I've answered the "are you a vegetarian" question many times because my diet consists mostly of fruits, vegetables, and faux meat (I love Morningstar Farms soy Chik products).


Cast iron cookware adds to the iron content of food. Steak au Poivre with scalloped potatoes, corn, and an oh, so yummy biscuit.

I succumb to the temptation of beef rather easily and I can say with quite a bit of certainty that I am most certainly *not* a vegetarian. However, with beef tenderloin prices beyond what I can afford on an average day, faux chicken is usually my choice. That means I usually sacrifice the benefits of dietary iron . . . unless, of course, I cook with my cast iron skillet.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ali B. said...

I looked, drooled, & now crave IRON! It's true... once a month I crave a fat piece of red meat! (This actually insn't one of those times - but food is food! )Just ask Glen how well my iron craving went down a couple of weeks ago ---- I'm a picky red-meat eater! He had to practically turn it to soot before I'd eat it. I told him to remind me NOT to go for steak ever again! Sincerely, Pathetic Iron Eater Ali

p.s. I'm craving garlic couscous, red beans, tortilla chips, cherry chocolate fudge, & umm a day off.

April 22, 2008 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Di said...

LMAO, Ali!

I'm VERY picky about my beef. Every bit of fat has to be trimmed off of it. That's why I go for sirloin and especially tenderloin. It's not my fault that tenderloin happens to be the choicest cut. ;-)

We'll have to do a grill-out sometime!

April 22, 2008 at 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home