Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Breakthrough Riding on a Regular Commute

Today was another commuting day, but something was different. It was the first time I've ridden my bike since my race on Sunday. I switched out my cross tires for my road tires and found myself running ten minutes late. I was already planning to not show up for my 9 a.m. class. Then I proved something to myself that I already knew: my road tires were faster. Oh, yes. I was faster. Suddenly I felt really good and decided to see how fast I could get to Hancock.

There was a method to the madness. It wasn't an all out sprint uphill for six miles, no. I can't do that. However, I chose to do a series of sprints on my way there. I pushed the biggest gears I could while maintaining 70 to 90 rpm. I did this several times and finally made it to Hancock, and running on schedule! I was able to exceed the speed limit down the hill and hopped on US-41 heading for the Portage Lift Bridge. With the road tires, the sidewalks were no longer safe since they were covered in sand and some soft snow. I chose to ride the right lane and maintained a speed of about 17 mph. The drivers were pretty respectful and shared the road with me. It felt good.

The best part is that I made it to class on time and sat through a lecture on a runner's high.

On the return trip, I climbed the hill to the north of town. Now, it was mostly downhill. I managed to do some sprints holding steadily at 34 mph. Mind you, this is not something I can do without the help of gravity, so the speed isn't what was so special about this. The moment of glory is when I realized that I could spin fast enough to keep up with my drivetrain. My pedaling at this speed was productive, and I wasn't bobbing on my saddle like I did last year when I couldn't pedal fast enough to keep up with the speed. My legs are faster and stronger. What a great feeling!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home