Thursday, April 3, 2008

Cycling Forums

The Internet is a pretty addicting little tool. Many of us have spent hours, if not days, surfing the web with endless information at our fingertips. I spent one whole night last week surfing through the backwards chronology of the English monarchy on Wikipedia.

If you are reading this blog, it is probably a safe assumption that you spend some of your bandwidth surfing through various cycling forums as well. I am quite guilty of this, especially this winter. Four complete weeks of bed rest dispersed throughout the winter is encouragement enough to click over to my favorite forum and dream of getting outside to ride my bike. I think this has been the cause of my spring fever, which I rarely get because I usually get to enjoy my winters skiing and snowshoeing in good health.

I spend a lot of my Internet time surfing through four cycling forums. The forum I spend the most time with is the Michigan Mountain Biking Association. This is a fun, passionate group of people who never fail to entertain. Even most serious topics get “sent to the Basement” when someone inevitably makes a sick comment sending the conversation into a downward spiral. This group proves amazing, though, as this forum also serves as a major network for riders who want to find others to ride with at various Michigan trails. One of our members moved to Colorado and even guides many the Michigan riders who head out west to be awed.



Team Estrogen is an online store for women cyclists looking for a large selection of fun cycling clothes and accessories to meet their needs. This store is unique in that it also hosts an online forum for women that has become quite the community. There is an incredible contrast between the female-dominated Team Estrogen and the male-dominated MMBA, both offering different kinds of information with the latter providing more humor and politics.



The Red Jacket – BlueSky Health Cycling Team forum is a new forum that deserves my time mostly because I am the forum administrator and a member of the cycling team. The goal of this forum is to provide a common source for local area riders to communicate and facilitate rides and transportation for races and trips. It is also our goal to provide health and training information as topics of discussion. All are welcome to contribute.



Mountain Bike Review is a precious resource to mountain bikers all over the world. It provides user product reviews, photos, and other resources along with an extensive forum. I only use the forum when I am homebound due its complexities. It is a very large forum with a lot of subforums and countless threads. Due to its size, it can be a bit overwhelming, but a lot of information can be found in its depths.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home