Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cycling + Pain + Yoga = Happy Cyclist

Many cyclists like to spend at least a couple hours on their bikes several times a week. It’s fun, and improvements are quite evident as the days pass by. Some cyclists will ride five or six times a week and include a seven or eight-hour ride.

If you’re like me, you’ll find that you can put your time in on the bike, mostly because you can't get yourself to stop because it’s just too much fun. I like to ride, and nothing is going to stop me as along as I’m able, even a few aches and pains. I do realize, however, that I need to address these aches and pains if I want to keep riding for years to come.

I’ve had pain from my ankles to my neck. Knee pain and sciatica are no strangers to me. I know the relief that certain movements of my neck will bring as a pop sounds. I love my chiropractor. I also know that these pains should not be occurring and I’ve learned what my ailments are caused by. My lower back muscles and IT band on my right side are tight, much tighter than the left. This muscle imbalance is the source of my aches and pains mostly by causing my spine to be pulled out of alignment. This causes the need for the chiropractic care that has become so important to me. I always ask my chiropractor and massage therapists what I can do to alleviate my symptoms. Stretches are always the answer.

The following routine is a series of yoga poses I do on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day, to promote flexibility and muscle balance. I provided links from a trusted source with pictures and descriptions for the poses that could be found. I’ve found the order listed to be the most beneficial.

* Wide-legged forward bend - For this pose, I like to do a variation resting my hands on the floor in front of me. After my muscles have relaxed, I'll vary it further by placing my hands on a two-foot high table in front of me to stretch out my upper back.
* Standing half forward bend or the Standing forward bend. I usually slowly move into the latter as my muscles relax.
* Bent-legged lying twists – Lie on your back, bend your knees and bring your legs toward your chest like you are sitting in a chair. Lower them to the right side and rest, allowing for a long stretch. Repeat to the other side.
* Straight-legged lying twist – Lie on your back with your legs extended in front of you, feet up in the air. Lift your hips and move them to the left a little (scootch your butt to the left), lower your legs to the right and rest for a while. Flex your feet to feel a deeper stretch along the IT band and knee. Repeat to the other side.


Straight-legged lying twist.

* Triangle pose
* Half lord of the fishes pose

These poses have done wonders for my back, and they feel incredibly good while I'm doing them. They help bring balance and allow my spine to fall closer into place.

I find stretching to be necessary after riding. I’ll do the above routine along with the following poses:

* Hero pose
* Cow face pose

These yoga poses don’t need to be done in a quiet room with a mat for the total yoga experience in order to be beneficial. Sometimes I do it in quiet, sometimes I do it in front of the television. The important thing is that these poses are done regularly. Do not stretch to the point of pain. These poses should be comfortable. They should feel good as you maintain a mild stretch.

Exercise is not without its risks and this or any other exercise program may result in injury. To reduce the risk of injury in your case, consult your doctor before beginning this exercise program. The instructor and advice presented are in no way intended as a substitute for medical consultation, the instructor disclaims any liability from and in connection with this program. As with any exercise program, if at any point during your workout you begin to feel faint, dizzy, or have physical discomfort, you should stop immediately and consult a physician.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home