Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Pipe Dream



The fact is I know better. When living in the Upper Peninsula, expecting not to see any snow in early April is a pipe dream. Just as the wheel tracks in my driveway were opening up to muddy potholes, the heavy, wet snow began falling from the sky. Driving down my driving, I noticed how beautiful the view was. Two inches have fallen already. The bright side is that I no longer have to scrutinize the ground for dog poop as I walk out to my garage. Two little dachshunds are poo machines that contribute excessive fertilization of the non-existent lawn surrounding the entryway to my house. Not only does the snow make this natural fertilizer highly visible, it covers the existing fertilizer that I diligently sidestep.


A great benefit of snow is the high visibility of the dog poo one wishes to avoid stepping in.

Spring fever? Check. Sick of snow? Check. Need exercise? Check, check, check, exclamation point! It’s not that I don’t enjoy the snow and no longer want to ski. It’s that I’m tired of throwing on layers of clothing and driving to the nearest ski trail for fun. I’d much rather leave my front door with minimal preparation to get my exercise. It’s time for a compromise. I am going to weight train instead.

I have been weight training at Michigan Tech since January and showing wonderful results in strength gains. I haven’t been going lately because I’ve been riding, or at least trying to ride in between snow and rainfalls. I also believe it is time to go on a maintenance program since riding season has officially begun, even though there is snow on the ground. Snow or no snow, it is here. Heck, my first race is this coming Sunday.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home