Sunday, April 20, 2008

No Drop Di

I was dropped. Today's ride was a no-drop team ride that I assembled via our team forum and email list. We had a great turnout and a ride that proved to be a little more challenging than I bargained for.

I led for a bit because everyone assumed I should because I'm the one who got everyone together. However, being the second slowest person in the group and having a fairly respectable headwind sucked some of my energy. Also, we met Thursday's goal of 15 mph. That was with some stops and indecisiveness sprinkled in here and there, so the pace was actually quite good. Drafting was my saving grace by allowing me to actually keep up with everyone.


The Red Jacket - BlueSky Health Racing Team had a great turnout for today's team ride. I find road riding with a group much more exciting than a solitary fight against the wind.

Toward the end of the ride, I told them that I was going to do a little recovery spin and I dropped back. They kept going at the 17 mph pace that was too much for me to handle after more than two hours. I came to a crossroads and had a strong inclination toward the road they most likely turned on, but they never left a rider back to direct me, so I reluctantly went straight. I was right. They turned.

I did my extra little part and turned to head where they would come out by taking the other road. I saw them crossing the intersection as I rode near and I cut through the Family Video parking lot to intercept them. "Hey!" I yelled sternly.

"Oh, there you are!" one of them replied.

"You guys dropped me!" I said, smiling back at the smiling droppers.

"We waited for you a bit, but you never came."

"Well, I was tired and needed to slow down for a bit. By the time I got to the crossroads, I couldn't see you guys, so I went straight since you didn't leave a cyclist behind to direct me."

We chatted and merrily ended our ride. I hope that next time they take count of their riders before jetting around the next corner. I know where to find them if they drop me again.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home