Saturday, April 5, 2008

Bikes, Burgers, and Brew

Today was our first Red Jacket team ride. Four of us showed up and did a loop between Calumet and McClain State Park. It was a breezy, partly cloudy day – the sun didn’t come out until after the ride. I started the ride out a little nervous because I was riding with three guys who have a lot more experience than I, and who are in better shape. Fortunately, we managed to keep a medium pace (15-18 mph) most of the time.


A small chat during a group ride allows slower riders to rest while creating a sense of camaraderie.

I drafted my friend, Pat, for the beginning of the ride, then rode alongside him for a bit chatting about Fruita, Colorado, commuting, and the upcoming race at Pontiac Lake (Pontiac, Michigan).

We hit the lakeshore and rode to Calumet Waterworks Road to ride the two mile climb. By this point, I was tired. It took a lot of effort to hit 10 mph, so I fell behind the other riders. I dropped it into my uncle gear and began the long, slow climb to the top. Pat turned around to ride the hill with me and we chatted more about the race at Pontiac Lake. After the climb, the conversation turned to food. That is usually a sign that the ride is coming to an end.

Our post ride meal was spent at the Michigan House Café and BrewPub. I was very happy to get my nut brown ale and my big, juicy cheeseburger. What a spectacular commencement to a spring road ride!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home