Thursday, May 8, 2008

Serious Bike Love

Springtime is here. Yes, I totally know you needed me to state the obvious. If your bike is like mine, it is sloppily shifting and sluggishly braking. The cables are grimy and loose from cyclocross season and spring road riding. It needs some serious love, much like my body after riding to Copper Harbor (43.5 miles of hilly ouch).

I rode to Copper Harbor yesterday and met my parents there for dinner and the car ride home. My body was d-e-a-d. It wasn't just any 43-mile ride, which is still quite an effort for me, but it was a hard-effort 43-mile ride because I was trying to get there before my parents did. They left Houghton an hour after I left my house, so I expected them to pass me on the road.


Di riding down Covered Road. Don't let the snow fool you - it was 50-55 degrees F and super sunny. It felt soooooooo good.

They caught up with me on Covered Road (US-41) about five miles south of Copper Harbor. I had my own SAG wagon in the form of a white Cadillac with a personal photographer following me into town. I just got new brake pads and the bike stops like a dream, which is a good thing considering the giant descent into the Harbor. I peaked at about 37 mph. Yes, brakes are good.

I met Mom and Dad in town and we did a little jaunt around town and Ft Wilkins State Park all while getting pictures. This ride concluded 50 miles for me. I do believe this is the farthest I've ever ridden.


Di beginning her descent into Copper Harbor by the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge.

National Bike Month isn't just a great time to do long road rides and advocate bicycle safety and awareness, but it is the perfect time of year to get your set of wheels ready for a season of heavy duty rolling. My Kona Jake the Snake is heading in for a tune-up pretty shortly and will shift and brake like the performance animal - er, bike - it is come the next Copper Harbor ride.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home