Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hanson Hills Challenge - June 1

A couple of my team mates and I began the month in racing fashion down in Grayling, Michigan for the Hanson Hills mountain bike race. We left very early Saturday morning and arrived in Grayling in the afternoon. We unloaded the bikes and did a leisurely pre-pride. I, being the slow rider, set the pace around the flowing 10-mile singletrack.


James, Di, and Pat. The picture has my name on it, but it was actually taken by Pat's friend, Dennis. Whoops!

Hanson Hills has some gradual climbs and fast descents. Overall, I found the course enjoyable and noted that it definitely has the weeee factor and the wah! effect. It lacks any kind of technical terrain making it a less than ideal race course for the gravitationally challenged, yet skillful mountain biker - like me. This MMBA Championship Point Series event proved to be the most competitive race I've done considering my category. I raced Sport Women 30-39. My friend, Ali, showed up, and she's fast, and I know it, and I told her so, so I knew I wasn't going to beat her. Fortunately, I was able to share in the post-race joy of her victory over our age group. Six women finished within twenty minutes of each other proving that we were all well-matched and exceptional riders. ;-)

Glen and Ali looking all lean and mean with their first place plaques. Glen really needs to get that lip thing checked out.

Glen and Ali on a more normal note.

I finished fifth place. The only setback I experienced was when a Clydesdale's rear tire slid off a bridge and he stood there straddling the bike and bridge while contemplating how to get back on his bike. This cost me the lead I gained on the approaching downhill section and I knew it when I finally yelled, "Pull it off! Pull it off!" He pulled the bike out of my way and I proceeded only to be immediately overtaken by my competition. Blech! Before this occurred, I believe I was running in third, but it didn't cost me this position because I was doomed to climb slowly over the next couple miles. Fun stuff. I may have taken fourth without this mishap, but I take full responsibility for my placing.

I had the great pleasure of hanging out with Glen and Ali and chatting with Nick and Marty a bit. I only get to see them at certain races, and these meetings definitely make the race experience more enjoyable.


Ali, Nick, Marty, and Glen. This was the only picture of these guys where Ali was standing somewhat close to Nick. I'm not sure if he smelled, or what, but she just didn't want to get too close to him. ;-)

Craig Morris meandered by and joined in on our mountain bike thievery. Pictured: Di, Glen, and Craig. Picture from Craig Morris' blog.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home